Friday, January 14, 2011

Recruiting raiders sucks

For the past week I have been doing my best to recruit raiders. Let me tell you, it sucks. I have a recruitment post that I bump daily on three different forums; I spam trade, LFG, and the guild recruitment channel daily; and I have approached specific individuals that I know are looking for a guild. How many applications have I reviewed? None.

Why the lack of response to my recruitment? A few reasons come to mind. First off, just like it is easier to find a job when you already have one, it is easier to recruit raiders when you already have a functioning raid group. People look at my roster of two players and think, "no way. This guild isn't going anywhere." The guild could be exactly what you are looking for, but if you have to join and then stick your thumb up your butt while the GM recruits more players... you get the idea.

Second is my style of recruiting. I am not going to spam recruit players and then kick the baddies. Instead I set the standard high, very high. Most players will not even bother applying because they think I am being unreasonable. Is it unreasonable to take a stand and say that a casual amount of play time is not an excuse to be bad at the game? I don't think so. So I recruit for exactly what I want and am happy to wait for it. To top it all off I do not write my recruitment posts and application questions in the typical manner. Players that look at my post won't be able to skim for what they think is relevant info and then decide to apply or not. They actually have to read, which requires actual interest, and most of them won't.

So why do I make it so hard on myself? There are plenty of other options for grabbing players. I could at least get a raid group going so it will be easier to recruit good raiders. The answer is, no, it won't be easier. The quality of player I am looking for won't be interested in joining a fail raid to try and make it stronger. What I need are great players that want to be surrounded with other great players and are willing to start that from scratch.

Well, all of my persistence has paid off. Yesterday I recruited the exact kind of player that I want. Exactly what I need to succeed. I am happy to say that four members of the original <Death and Taxes> are now members of <Adept>. This includes a tank that has been taking hits to the head from bosses since DnT got some of their vanilla world first kills and still loves it, one of the best heal-bots I have ever seen, and two superb DPS that keep me pushing to compete with them. What can I say... these guys impress me.

So now I have six out of my ten raiders and the hard part is over. Time to finish the roster off and start kicking ass and taking names.

No comments: